I thought it was probably time to do another search on the web to find some interesting places for you to send your writing. I am a wee bit too busy at the moment to write for them but I will look forward to hearing about anything that you choose to send off. I have a few old stories that I think might be good enough, but I haven’t checked yet so who knows! While it can be difficult to make a living from purely short story writing I don’t think it should be ignored entirely, and in these difficult times, it could be a good way of making some extra cash.
First things first, thank you to the crew behind the Horror Tree website, since that is where I found a lot of these opportunities. You can find the website here and they have a donation page and a Patreon page that you should support if you are interested in getting regular updates on places looking for stories. They post opportunities for lots of Science Fiction and Fantasy, but mostly they do Horror. Unfortunately for me, I am not much of a Horror writer so I only sometimes find something I can use. But if you are more into that side of things then this might be just the website for you and I would definitely recommend it!
- Publishers, Dragon Soul Press, are looking for short stories for their Lethal Impact Anthology. They want dark apocalypse stories between 5000 and 15,000 words. The idea seems to be to bridge the gap between Horror and Apocalypse fiction here, with lots of intrigue about whether or not you can trust other people at the end of the world. It’s not really my usual genre, but it might be an interesting one for someone out there. You will be paid a share of royalties if you are accepted. They want all submissions by June 30th 2020. Here’s the link to the website.
- Also for June 30th 2020, Lately, The Sun want short stories of between 2000 and 8000 words for an anthology about Climate Change. You will be paid a flat fee of $80 AUD if you are accepted. One story in the anthology will also get an extra $500 from the editor, which is a big bonus! They want a focus on solutions, not just problems, so keep that in mind. Here is a link to their page.
- For the 1st of July, The Binge Watching Cure are asking for Science Fiction short stories. They are giving a fee of $100 US per story. They have set lengths that they want the stories to be, from 100 words all the way up to 25,000 words. This might be a bit tricky to get right, so be sure to look up the website for more details. Here is the link to their page.
- Again for the 1st of July, Eerie River Publishing are looking for short stories for an anthology themed around Dark Fantasy that includes elemental magic. You will be paid a share of royalties if you are accepted, and they want stories from 7000 words to 15,000 words. They want world building heavy stories, which sounds fun. Here is a link to their website and where you can find out more.
And Finally, this is a submission opportunity that I found on Twitter. It looks pretty good and I might be trying out for it myself, I think I have a few things that could work.
- Sumanguru, a Zine who are looking for short (2000 to 3000 word pieces) stories and non-fiction works. The general theme is “fantastical adventure” and as well as short stories they are looking for non-fiction about lots of topics, and RPG world building materials. This last bit sounds very interesting, especially as they stress that it should not be tied to one particular setting and instead it should be free to be used by anyone looking to add a bit of variety to their own table top game. I am personally really interested in this, I have a few NPC and monster concepts that I would love to send them, I will just need to see if I can get them polished up. They are giving a flat rate of $100 US for acceptances. This is for the 7th of June. Here is the link to their website.
And that’s it for now, I’ll probably go on Twitter in a bit and find dozens of good things to put in a post, because that is how it always works. Have any of these tempted you? Leave a comment if they have I always find it so interesting to see what grabs people. Sometimes it’s a massive surprise to me to find out what people are keen on. Also, apologies if you are a Horror writer and would have preferred me to post some of the Horror options as well, but as I said I am not super interested in the Horror side of things and so I mostly scooted past those and didn’t take careful notes. If you are a horror writer for a particular niche let me know and I’ll keep an eye out.
Here is the link to the Horror Tree website again, I am a big fan and I hope you will be too after taking a look.
Stay safe out there,